Dec 03, 2023
If you want a flexible major that helps prepare you for medical school or dental school-or you’re thinking about a career (or graduate school) in something related to bio and medicine-you’re in the right place. UB’s biomedical sciences program is for students who love biology and want to learn from experts in lots of different areas. As one of our students said, “It gives you a path to go down, but it’s not overly strict.” Sound interesting? Keep reading.
Visit the Biomedical Sciences academic program page for more information about the academic experience, who you will learn from, opportunities outside of class and what you can do with this degree.
Visit the Biomedical Sciences department page for contact information, a brief overview of the department and the curricular options.
- Minimum 2.800 UB GPA overall
- Minimum 3.000 major GPA required
Current UB students who are interested in applying to the Biomedical Sciences BS in the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences should submit the Program Application.
Biomedical Sciences Core (71-72 credits)
Electives (21 credits)
Biomedical Science electives: students need to take at least 7 elective courses (21 credits) at the 300/400 level. No more than 3 credits may come from BMS 498 or MED 498 .
Total Credits Required for Major: 92-93
Additional Degree Requirements Include:
- Additional coursework to fulfill UB Curriculum requirements
- Elective courses as needed to complete the 122 credit hour total
Total Credits Required for Graduation: 121-122
Total Credit Hours Required represents the minimum credits needed to complete this program, and may vary based on a number of circumstances. This should not be used for financial aid purposes.
- Minimum major GPA of 3.000 is required
- Minimum University GPA of 2.800 is required
A Curricular Plan provides a roadmap for completing this academic program and the UB Curriculum on time. Your actual plan may vary depending on point of entry to the university, course placement and/or waivers based on standardized test scores, earned alternative credit and/or college transfer credit.
Total Credits Required: 122
Note: Some classes may count toward both a major and UB Curriculum requirement.
Upon successful completion of all requirements, the student will have knowledge to:
- Demonstrate mastery of basic knowledge in mathematics, natural sciences and biomedical sciences
- Participate in experiential learning opportunities (leadership, research, internships, study aboard, outreach and service)
- Demonstrate preparation for graduate (Master’s, PhD) and professional programs (medical, dental, optometry, physician assistant)
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge underlying concepts of health and disease in preparation for careers in the biomedical sciences
- Exhibit a broad knowledge of interdisciplinary topics within the field of health and social sciences comparable to other programs across the country
(HEGIS: 04.00 BIOLOGICAL SCI UNCLASSFD, CIP: 26.0102 Biomedical Sciences, General)