Dec 07, 2023
One Introductory Course (3 credits)
Four Technique Courses (12 credits)
Courses must be taken in two different tracks from among: Ballet, Modern or Jazz. Courses may be repeated, but students must successfully complete level 2 at a C or above before continuing to level 3 technique courses.
Four Upper-Division Dance courses (12 credits)
Total Credits Required for Minor: 27
Total Credit Hours Required represents the minimum credits needed to complete this program, and may vary based on a number of circumstances. This chart should not be used for financial aid purposes.
- Students enrolled in the Dance BFA or Dance BA program are not eligible to complete the Dance Minor.
- To stay a student in good standing, Dance Minors must receive a grade of C or above in all departmental courses.
Diversified Technique Methodologies. Students will demonstrate:
- Understanding of rhythmic acuity moving musically & dynamically.
- Cognitive use of dance vocabulary.
- Sense of placement, elevation, control & style
- Sense coordination, use of weight, directional focus
- Knowledge of the theory of diversified techniques
Cultural and Historical. Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a knowledge of historical facts, as well as social and cultural issues that influenced development of dance as an art form.
- Discuss, articulate, express, and debate a variety of cultural movement contexts technically, historically, philosophically, and aesthetically.
- Examine and communicate the importance of dance history in relation to other arts, social and political concerns that influenced the dancers and choreographers of the time
- Discuss the role of dance in various cultures and historical periods.
Creative Practice. Students will be able to:
- Investigate and generate new movement solutions.
- Incorporate the process of movement exploration, concept development, manipulation of ideas, to structure original abstract ideas and to create movement to express them in powerful original ways.
- Move spontaneously, without premeditated choreography.