Undergraduate Course Requirements
Mathematics Core (48 credits)
Two Math Electives (6 credits)
- Two 300/400 level Mathematics courses (See AAR for list of course options)*
Education Core (16 credits)*
Graduate Course Requirements
Mathematics Adolescence Education (27 credits)
- LAI 515 Action Research to Improve Teaching and Learning OR LAI 541
- LAI 545 Problem Solving & Posing in Mathematics OR LAI 600 OR LAI 542
- LAI 552 Middle Childhood/Adolescent Literacy Methods
- LAI 595 Supervised Teaching II
- LAI 618 Methods of Teaching Mathematics (Grades 5-12)
- LAI 667 Field Experience
- LAI 668 Supervised Teaching I
- LAI 674 Seminar in Teaching
- LAI 698 Instructional Strategies in Inclusive Classrooms
Four Math Electives (12 credits)
Advisor approved 500 level mathematics and/or social sciences electives offered through the College of Arts and Sciences or the Graduate School of Education.
Culminating Experience (1 credit)
Total Credits Required for Undergraduate Major: 54
Additional Degree Requirements Include:
- Additional coursework to fulfill UB Curriculum requirements
- 16 credits of Education Core*
Total Undergraduate Credits Required: 106
Total Graduate Credits Required for Degree: 40
Total Credits Required for Graduation: 146
Total Credit Hours Required represents the minimum credits needed to complete this program, and may vary based on a number of circumstances. This should not be used for financial aid purposes.
Continuation in the major will be contingent on completing MTH 141 , MTH 142 , and MTH 241 (or Honors equivalent or transfer-equivalent courses), with a 2.500 GPA or higher. Students with a Calculus GPA below 2.500 may be eligible for provisional admission. Contact 716-645-8785 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make an advising appointment.
To progress to the graduate portion of the program, students must maintain a 3.000 GPA, earn a “C” grade or higher in content courses (courses in the undergraduate major); earn a “B-” or better in all education coursework (courses that begin with CEP, ELP, and LAI), and complete an interview in the Office of Educator Preparation. Students must complete these progression points by March of year three of the bachelor’s program to be eligible to register for graduate level coursework. No formal application is required for graduate school.
Transfer Credit Policy
All UB Mathematics majors must complete at least four upper-division mathematics courses, numbered 311-489, excluding MTH 323 , MTH 326 , and MTH 399 , at UB.
Program Honors and Program Distinction
Majors are eligible for Program Honors upon completion of an honors thesis under the guidance of a faculty advisor. Students typically complete MTH 499 in the fall semester and MTH 497 in the spring semester, although the timing is flexible and students may complete the thesis before their last semester. Students must also meet the remaining Program Honors criteria outlined in the Academic Honors policy.
Majors who do not pursue a thesis but have exceptional grades are eligible for Program Distinction upon degree conferral if the criteria are met. These criteria are also found in the Academic Honors policy.
Students who successfully complete Program Honors and meet the criteria will have the appropriate notation on their official transcript. Program Distinction is also noted on the official transcript.
A Curricular Plan provides a roadmap for completing this academic program and the UB Curriculum on time. Your actual plan may vary depending on point of entry to the university, course placement and/or waivers based on standardized test scores, earned alternative credit and/or college transfer credit.
Fourth Year Spring
- LAI 552LEC - Mid Chld/Adoles Ltrcy Mtd Credits: 3
- LAI 515LEC - Action Research to Improve Teaching and Learning OR LAI 541SEM Mathematics Teaching Credits: 3
- MTH 500 level Elective Credits: 3
- MTH 500 level Elective Credits: 3
- LAI 414LEC - Adolescent Writing Across the Curriculum Credits: 3
Fifth Year Fall
- LAI 545LEC - Problem Posing and Solving in Education Credits: 3
- LAI 667TUT - Field Experience Credits: 3
- LAI 668TUT - Supervised Teaching Credits: 3
- LAI 698SEM - Instructl Stratgs Inc Inclusive Cls Credits: 3
Fifth Year Spring
- LAI 595TUT - Supervised Teaching Credits: 3
- LAI 674TUT - Seminar in Teaching Credits: 3
- LAI 700TUT - Indiv Guidnc Capstn Event Credits: 1
Total Credits Required: 146
Note: Some classes may count toward both a major and UB Curriculum requirement.
By the time of graduation, students majoring in mathematics should have acquired the following knowledge and skills:
1. Proficiency in basic computational methods in calculus, algebra, and differential equations.
2. Facility with computer-aided computations.
3. The ability to write clear and rigorous mathematical proofs.
4. The ability to apply mathematical modeling to problems arising in other disciplines.
5. A basic understanding of methods and the subject matter of various mathematical disciplines.