Jun 09, 2023
Return to: Program Requirements
Mathematics Core (47 credits)
Additional Course Requirements (30-36 credits)
- CSE 115LLR - Introduction to Computer Science I Credits: 4
- PHY 107LR - General Physics I Credits: 4
- PHY 108LR - General Physics II Credits: 4
- Three 300/400 level Mathematics courses
- Three 300/400 level Mathematics or Computer Science courses
- Any 300/400-level MTH course, except for MTH 306 , MTH 309 , MTH 323 , MTH 326 , MTH 399 , MTH 495 -MTH 499 , which is not already being used towards another major requirement, is acceptable.
- Any 300 or 400 level CSE courses, except for CSE 492 and CSE 494 -CSE 499 , are also approved.
- For these purposes STA 301 and STA 301 is considered equivalent to MTH 411 , and hence as a 400 level MTH course. Likewise, STA 302 and STA 302 is considered equivalent to MTH 412 . No other non-MTH courses can be used towards this requirement. STA 301 and STA 302 each count as one course towards the required number of electives. (That is, lecture and recitation components are not counted as separate courses towards this count.) MTH 431 -MTH 432 and MMTH 419 -MTH 420 are designed for students who want intensive preparation in analysis and modern algebra.
Total Credits Required for Major: 77-83
Additional Degree Requirements Include:
- Additional coursework to fulfill UB Curriculum requirements
- Elective courses as needed to complete the 120 credit hour total
Total Credits Required for Graduation: 120
Total Credit Hours Required represents the minimum credits needed to complete this program, and may vary based on a number of circumstances. This should not be used for financial aid purposes.
Continuation in the major will be contingent on completing MTH 141 MTH 142 and MTH 241 (or Honors equivalent or transfer-equivalent courses), with a 2.500 GPA or higher. Students with a Calculus GPA below 2.500 may be eligible for provisional admission. Contact 716-645-8785 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make an advising appointment.
Transfer Credit Policy
All UB Mathematics majors must complete at least four upper-division mathematics courses, numbered 311-489, excluding MTH 323 , MTH 326 , and MTH 399 , at UB.
Program Honors and Program Distinction
Majors are eligible for Program Honors upon completion of an honors thesis under the guidance of a faculty advisor. Students typically complete MTH 499 in the fall semester and MTH 497 in the spring semester, although the timing is flexible and students may complete the thesis before their last semester. Students must also meet the remaining Program Honors criteria outlined in the Academic Honors policy.
Majors who do not pursue a thesis but have exceptional grades are eligible for Program Distinction upon degree conferral if the criteria are met. These criteria are also found in the Academic Honors policy.
Students who successfully complete Program Honors and meet the criteria will have the appropriate notation on their official transcript. Program Distinction is also noted on the official transcript.
A Curricular Plan provides a roadmap for completing this academic program and the UB Curriculum on time. Your actual plan may vary depending on point of entry to the university, course placement and/or waivers based on standardized test scores, earned alternative credit and/or college transfer credit.
Total Credits Required: 120
Note: Some classes may count toward both a major and UB Curriculum requirement.
By the time of graduation, students majoring in mathematics should have acquired the following knowledge and skills:
1. Proficiency in basic computational methods in calculus, algebra, and differential equations.
2. Facility with computer-aided computations.
3. The ability to write clear and rigorous mathematical proofs.
4. The ability to apply mathematical modeling to problems arising in other disciplines.
5. A basic understanding of methods and the subject matter of various mathematical disciplines.
Return to: Program Requirements