Dec 03, 2023
- Must be a current Exercise Science major in the Pre-Athletic Training Concentration
- Complete all prerequisite courses
- Minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 3.000
Current students wishing to pursue the combined Exercise Science BS - Pre-Athletic Training Concentration / Athletic Training MS must apply to the Athletic Traning program during year three. Enrollment is limited. Visit the Athletic Training program admissions page for more information.
Exercise Science Core (24 credits)
Pre-Athletic Training Concentration Core (45 credits)
Pre-Athletic Training Electives (6 credits)
Graduate Course Requirements
Athletic Training Core (63 credits)
- CHB 550 - Public Health & Population Wellbeing
- ES 508 -Foundations of AT
- ES 520 - Clinical Integration I
- ES 521 - Clinical Integration II
- ES 528 -Health Promotion, Prevention & Wellness
- ES 536 - Healthcare Management
- ES 543 - Psychosocial & Behavioral Healthcare
- ES 547 - Foundations in Patient Care
- ES 548 - Patient Care Interventions I
- ES 549 - Patient Care interventions II
- ES 550 -Evidence Based Practice
- ES 553 -Functional Anatomy for ATs
- ES 554 - Emergency Mngmt in AT
- ES 570 - Patient Examination I
- ES 571 -Patient Examination II
- ES 606 - Limitations to Exercise Performance
- ES 626 - Clinical Integration III
- ES 627 - Clinical Integration IV
- ES 628 - Clinical Integration V
- ES 629 - Clinical Integration VI
- ES 630 - Clinical Research in Patient Care
- ES 631 - Clinical Reasoning Capstone
- ES 673 -Patient Examination III
*Students can only use one Biochemistry course towards their elective requirement
Total Credits Required for Undergraduate Major: 75
Additional Degree Requirements Include:
- Additional coursework to fulfill UB Curriculum requirements
Total Undergraduate Credits Required: 98
Total Credits Required for Graduate Degree: 63
Total Credits Required for Graduation:
Total Credit Hours Required represents the minimum credits needed to complete this program, and may vary based on a number of circumstances. This should not be used for financial aid purposes.
Students must maintain an overall undergraduate GPA ≥ 3.000 to be eligible for admission to the graduate portion of the program. Students must maintain ≥ 3.000 overall graduate GPA, achieve grades of B- or higher in all graduate courses, maintain Emergency Cardiac Care (ECC) certification and successfully pass all Clinical Integration courses. Students that do not maintain a 3.000 minimum graduate GPA will not be allowed to continue in the combined program but may continue in the BS program in any of the four concentrations.
A student in this major is eligible for Program Distinction upon degree conferral if the criteria are met. Criteria are found under Academic Honors in the Policy and Procedure section of this Catalog. Program Distinction is noted on the official transcript.
A Curricular Plan provides a roadmap for completing this academic program and the UB Curriculum on time. Your actual plan may vary depending on point of entry to the university, course placement and/or waivers based on standardized test scores, earned alternative credit and/or college transfer credit.
Third Year Summer
- ES 553 Functional Anatomy for Athletic Trainers Credits: 3
- ES 508 Foundations of Athletic Training Credits: 3
- ES 554 Emergency Management in Athletic Training Credits: 3
- ES 547 Foundations of Patient Care Credits: 3
Fourth Year Fall
- ES 570 Patient Examination I Credits: 3
- ES 548 Patient Care Interventions I Credits: 2
- ES 550 Evidence Based Practice Credits: 2
- ES 528 Health Promotion, Prevention & Wellness Credits: 3
- ES 520 Clinical Integration I Credits: 2
Fourth Year Spring
- ES 571 Patient Examination II Credits: 3
- ES 549 Patient Care Interventions II Credits: 2
- ES 673 Patient Examination III Credits: 3
- ES 606 Limitations to Exercise Performance Credits: 3
- ES 521 Clinical Integration II Credits: 2
Fourth Year Summer
- ES 626 Clinical Integration III Credits: 2
- ES 627 Clinical Integration IV Credits: 1
Fifth Year Fall
- CHB 550 Public Health & Population Wellbeing Credits: 3
- ES 630 Clinical Research in Patient Care Credits: 3
- ES 536 Healthcare Management Credits: 2
- ES 543 Psychosocial & Behavioral Healthcare Credits: 2
- ES 628 Clinical Integration V Credits: 4
Fifth Year Spring
- ES 631 Clinical Reasoning Capstone Credits: 3
- ES 629 Clinical Integration VI Credits: 6
Total Credits Required: 161
Upon successful completion of all requirements, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of essential principles and vocabulary of exercise science.
- Apply scientific knowledge to improve human health, fitness and performance.
- Demonstrate entry-level skills as an exercise science practitioner.
- Demonstrate professionalism and commitment to evidence-based practice and prudent decision-making skills.
- Display competence in oral, written and digital communication skills.
- Demonstrate effective team work and interpersonal skills in working with clients, supervisors and professional colleagues.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and analytical skills to a variety of scenarios relevant to practice as an exercise science professional.
(HEGIS: 12.00 , CIP: 26.0908 Exercise Physiology and Kinesiology)